Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Leeds stutter to win

2 March 2013

Stephen Warnock spared Ross McCormack's blushes as his second-half penalty helped Leeds keep their play-off hopes alive with a 1-0 victory over Millwall.

Seventy-two minutes had gone when the former England international drilled a spot-kick down the centre of David Forde's goal, with the goalkeeper unable to replicate the first-half penalty save he had made from McCormack.

The 12-yard efforts were Leeds' 12th and 13th penalties of the season, with McCormack's miss their first failure. The striker also failed to convert an easier chance from closer in, but Warnock was nerveless when he stepped up after an Alan Dunne foul on McCormack, keeping United in with a fighting chance of making the top six.

Kenny Jackett's men were unable to sustain a period of real pressure throughout the 90 minutes, although had started as though a seasonal double over Leeds was going to be on the cards.

Martyn Woolford pushed two half-volleys just wide and with 13 minutes gone, the winger's flick put James Henry clean through on Paddy Kenny's goal six yards out, but he side-footed against the post.

Henry then wasted the chance to put John Marquis clean through, and the home side grew into the game after that, starting with a 17th-minute penalty appeal when Forde appeared to clean up Luke Varney's head as they went for a Warnock cross.

A spot-kick was awarded in the 28th minute, though, and so began McCormack's period of madness. Sam Byram - through after a superb pass from Paul Green - was hauled down by Woolford, with Mike Jones immediately pointing to the spot. The official was not done however, and halted McCormack's taking of the penalty to order a re-spot.

The Scotland striker was far from happy but, after obliging, stepped forward and hit low to Forde's left, with the keeper getting down to save. McCormack then slipped in trying to tuck in from six yards after a Varney cross.

The second half's quality was summed up by Forde's save from a deflected Michael Tonge effort in the 65th minute. Millwall threw on two strikers in the form of Andy Keogh and Nathan Tyson, and the duo nearly combined to open the scoring with 68 minutes gone.

The former cut in from the right and crossed for Tyson, but Lee Peltier was on hand to deny him and then Keogh on the rebound. It would prove an vital contribution as just two minutes later, Dunne tripped McCormack and Warnock made no mistake with an emphatic drive down the middle.

Advertisement block