Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Late fightback Madden-ing for Glovers

24 March 2013

Paddy Madden should have been celebrating a Yeovil victory after notching his 21st goal of the season and having a hand in two more.

The Irish striker, on his first return to Brunton Park since leaving the Cumbrians for Yeovil earlier in the season, saw his side give away a 3-1 lead in the dying minutes. Although the 3-3 draw kept alive Yeovil's promotion hopes, manager Gary Johnson was in no doubt it was two points given away.

"I'm gutted," Johnson said.

"It was a dagger to the heart. We are still there or thereabouts and I've got to keep shoving and probing to get them to believe they can get there. It hurts a lot. All of a sudden players start hitting the wrong ball at the wrong time and jumping out of tackles and not winning things.

"I've got a massive job to keep them competitive. Some players have it and some aren't competitive enough. If you are midtable then 3-3 at Carlisle sounds not bad, but I make it a very poor result. But Paddy Madden gave a fantastic performance. He chases lost causes and goes beyond the call of duty, which is why he will have a terrific career in the game."

Carlisle manager Greg Abbott admitted he thought his side were heading for a defeat.

"The equaliser was bizarre, but it went in our favour for once," Abbott said. "Even with my optimism I thought the game was gone. It's a great reward for the players to score three goals against a side bound for the play-offs. You would have thought we had won the World Cup in the dressing room afterwards.

"The two late goals gave us the reward we deserved and over the 90 minutes there was not a great gulf between the sides."

Kevin Dawson gave Glovers a first-half lead before Lee Miller equalised. Madden grabbed his 21st goal of the season after the break and James Hayter added a third for Yeovil before Carlisle's late fightback.

First Miller controlled David Symington's ball into the box before firing low into the corner from six yards. Then, in added time and with seconds remaining, Carlisle's French substitute Mathieu Manset, who only received international clearance hours before the game, saw a shot blocked only for Yeovil defender Luke Ayling to turn the ball into his own net.

Advertisement block