Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Flitcroft salutes great team performance

30 January 2013

Barnsley manager David Flitcroft believes Jason Scotland might finally have found his home after marking his debut for the club by scoring with his first touch in a 2-0 home win over Millwall.

Scotland raced on to a pass from David Perkins 90 seconds after replacing Marlon Harewood as a second-half substitute and, with his first touch, thumped home the second goal.

The 33-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international, who spent four years in Scotland with Dundee United and St Johnstone before spells at Swansea and Wigan, signed a short-term deal until the end of the season on Monday after his release from Ipswich.

Chris Dagnall had given Barnsley a deserved lead 11 minutes earlier with a clever finish over Millwall goalkeeper David Forde for his fourth goal in as many matches and Flitcroft's side comfortably held out for a fourth win in six under their new manager.

"I won't be taking any credit for Jason Scotland," said Flitcroft, who made the substitution in the 66th minute. "I'm into complete team unity, that's the way I am. I'm a team player and always will be and Jason played his part in what was an incredible team performance.

"The group have covered every blade of grass, they've used every sinew, run all over the opposition, out-passed the opposition, outfought them and come out on top."

But victory was not enough to lift the Tykes out of the bottom three, although they are now within four points of Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday, who are immediately above them in the table. Flitcroft added he was hoping to strengthen his squad further before Thursday's transfer deadline.

Millwall have now won only one of their last seven league games and missed out on the chance of moving to within three points of the top six and manager Kenny Jackett agreed it was a missed opportunity for his side, but gave credit to Barnsley for creating more chances.

"We created one good chance in each half, Andy (Keogh) in the first half and John (Marquis) in the second when he was through on the keeper," Jackett said. "After that we didn't create enough. We tried to get hold of the ball in midfield, where they had an extra man and made it pay.

"When their opportunities came they took them and it was a night for the first goal and it fell to Barnsley."

Advertisement block