Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Trophy round-up

10 December 2013

Tuesday 10th December

Northern Section

A stunning goal from full-back Conor McLaughlin sealed Fleetwood Town's place in the Northern Final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after a 2-1 victory over Sky Bet League 1 side Rotherham United.

Jeff Hughes put the Sky Bet League 2 side ahead after 19 minutes. Nathan Tyson's persistence paid off as he tumbled in the box, and Hughes scuffed his shot through the legs of Adam Collin.

The Millers dominated the first half but grim determination kept them at bay.

But the dam finally broke 10 minutes after the break. Kieran Agard had already hit a post and on his next foray forward the striker's shot was blocked by Mark Roberts and Nouha Dicko, following in at the back post, fired Rotherham level.

The goal injected fresh life into Fleetwood, with Antoni Sarcevic nearly forcing a way through.

Indeed, 18 minutes from time they found a second as Matty Blair's run was cut short by Ben Pringle and McLaughlin hit a stunning 25-yard curler.

There was late drama as first Lee Frecklington and then James Tavernier forced added-time saves from Scott Davies as Fleetwood held on.

Fleetwood will face Chesterfield in the area final after they beat Oldham Athletic on penalties after a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes.

The shoot-out went to sudden death and Drew Talbot converted the crucial spot-kick after visiting keeper Tommy Lee denied Oldham's Anton Rodgers.

Oldham Athletic went ahead after 21 minutes when David Mellor's left-wing cross found Danny Philliskirk, who turned sharply and drilled inside the far post from 10 yards.

Chesterfield were level within seven minutes as Tendayi Darikwa planted in a close-range header from Talbot's excellent first-time cross.

The Spireites almost snatched the lead, with the dangerous Darikwa firing wide from a good position. But Oldham dominated the second half and Lee rescued his side three times, saving well from Philliskirk, Jonson Clarke-Harris and Jonathan Grounds.

Lee also denied Adam Rooney at the death and it was Chesterfield who held their nerve from the spot to move within one round of Wembley.

Southern Section

Rookie goalkeeper Tyrell Belford was Swindon Town's hero as they beat Sky Bet League 1 rivals Stevenage on penalties to set up a showdown with Peterborough United in the Southern Final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Belford, 19, saved from Luke Freeman and Filipe Morais while Ben Chorley blazed over the crossbar as Town triumphed 3-1 in the shootout.

Alex Pritchard, Mohammed El Gabnbas and Yaser Kasim all scored from the spot for the hosts while Francois Zoko was on target for Graham Westley's side.

Stevenage striker Zoko had earlier taken the game to spot-kicks with a 70th-minute equaliser as the tie finished 1-1 in normal time. Zoko headed home at the near post to cancel out Nicky Ajose's first-half opener, his ninth goal of the season.

Darren Ferguson's Peterborough United booked their place in the Area Final with a hard-fought 3-0 win at Newport County.

Kgosi Ntlhe's 25-yard strike in the 13th minute put the League One side ahead before late goals from Grant McCann and substitute Nathaniel Mendez-Laing sealed the win at Rodney Parade.

It was only a second goal in senior football for 19-year-old South African left-back Ntlhe, as the ball squirmed under Newport goalkeeper Jamie Stephens.

The County stopper got injured in the second half and McCann's deflected shot in the 90th minute saw its way past substitute keeper Lenny Pidgeley before Mendez-Laing netted with almost the final kick of the game.

Justin Edinburgh's League Two outfit created their own chances but Conor Washington, a former trialist at Peterborough, could not convert from David Pipe's right-wing cross while Robbie Willmott was denied by Bobby Olejnik.

Advertisement block