Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Round 5 review

18 December 2013

We round-up the action from the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup

Wednesday 18th December

Ashley Young scored his first goal in over 19 months before setting up Patrice Evra to send Manchester United into the Capital One Cup semi-finals with victory over Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.

He lashed home what turned into a lay-off by substitute Javier Hernandez from 20 yards. Not since May 2012 had Young found the net.

And when he then threaded a pass through for Evra to score 12 minutes from time, the former Aston Villa man ensured David Moyes could still land the first silverware available to him in a competition he was beaten by United in the Final of four seasons ago.

In Wednesday's other Capital One Cup quarter-final, Managerless Tottenham Hotspur exited the competition as West Ham United came from behind to claim a second successive win at White Hart Lane.

The Hammers won 3-0 in the Premier League encounter in October in one of the results which ultimately cost Andre Villas-Boas his job and saw Tim Sherwood placed in charge of Spurs for the League Cup quarter-final.

Sherwood thought he had made a dream start to life in the dugout when Emmanuel Adebayor put Spurs in front midway through the second half, but Matt Jarvis scored 10 minutes from time and Modibo Maiga headed in an 85th-minute winner to send the Hammers, struggling in the Premier League, into the semi-finals.

Tuesday 17th December

Edin Dzeko pressed his case for a regular run in the Manchester City side with two goals in a comfortable 3-1 Capital One Cup quarter-final win at Leicester City.

With top scorer Sergio Aguero facing at least a month out, Dzeko took his chance to shine at the King Power Stadium by netting twice after Aleksandar Kolarov opened the scoring with a free-kick.

Leicester, third in the Sky Bet Championship, had gone into the game with confidence but were outclassed by City, although they finished strongly and claimed a deflected Lloyd Dyer consolation.

Nigel Pearson sent on Matty James and Jeff Schlupp and they gave Joe Hart some shots to save but Leicester were ultimately unable to set up a frantic finale and City advanced.

In Tuesday's other Capital One Cup quarter-final, Ki Sung-yueng was the hero at the Stadium of Light as Sunderland dumped Chelsea out to book a place in the semi-finals.

The South Korea international, on loan from Cup holders Swansea City, struck in the final minute of extra-time to complete a famous 2-1 win and end Jose Mourinho's hopes of winning the trophy which gave him his first honour during his previous spell at Stamford Bridge.

Lee Cattermole's own goal looked to have sent Chelsea through to the last four until substitute Fabio Borini struck with just two minutes of normal time remaining to send the tie into extra-time.

And Ki completed the turnaround in the final seconds of the extra 30 minutes - the 24-year-old picked up the ball inside the box, took his time, cut inside slightly, and fired low past Mark Schwarzer to send the noisy home crowd into raptures.

Advertisement block