Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Ardley feels for Chairboys

11 August 2013

AFC Wimbledon boss Neal Ardley had sympathy for Wycombe counterpart Gareth Ainsworth after Stuart Lewis' controversial dismissal in the Dons' 1-0 win.

Chairboys captain Lewis was given his marching orders in the 34th minute for what referee Gavin Ward regarded as a dangerous challenge - a decision that looked harsh.

With the visitors still reeling, Luke Moore headed in the only goal of the game to give the Dons their first win of the new season.

Ardley said: "I can see why he sent him off because it was a very high challenge and a late challenge, but if I was Gareth I'd probably be disappointed.

"At that time I don't think it had been a particularly nasty game and I would have been disappointed had it happened to us but I can see why he's given it at the same time.

"We made some points to the players on Thursday after the Millwall game about our tempo of play and I thought in the first half the tempo of our play was excellent.

"We caused them a lot of problems and there was a lot more pace about us and even when it was 11 v 11 I thought we were the better the better team.

"Obviously what was quite important was that when they did go down to 10 men we got a goal quite quickly and they didn't get a chance to sit back."

Wimbledon began the much brighter side and they deserved to go in front three minutes after Lewis' red card when Luke Moore flicked Callum Kennedy's cross into the bottom corner.

Jon-Paul Pittman almost drew the 10 men level when Dons goalkeeper Ross Worner denied him with his legs and Chris Arthur almost added a second in stoppage time when his chip hit the bar.

Wycombe boss Ainsworth said: "It was not a sending-off in my opinion, but mine doesn't count and the referee's does.

"All of my players didn't think it was one and I've spoken to Neal Ardley and he said 'very harsh.'

"It's hard to play with 10 men, especially for 70 minutes, but the boys did themselves proud and until the last five minutes when they had a few shots on goal, you could see we were equal to them.

"The red card did come at a crucial time and they scored within two or three minutes of that and then it was very hard to get things in place.

"At half-time we sorted it out and we nullified their threat and a few players turned my head.

"I'll be without my skipper for three games - I know red cards have been rescinded in the past but I'll have to look at it on the video myself."

Advertisement block