Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Championship round-up

29 September 2012

Blackburn Rovers' first game of the post-Steve Kean era finished in a 1-1 npower Championship draw at Charlton Athletic, while rock-bottom Peterborough United secured their first points of the season with a 3-1 win at promotion hopefuls Hull City.

Rovers, under the guidance of assistant manager Eric Black following Kean's dramatic resignation on Friday night, took a 16th-minute lead through Dickson Etuhu at The Valley. But captain Johnnie Jackson recovered from a penalty miss to get the Addicks back on level terms in the 27th minute.

Emile Sinclair scored a hat-trick as Peterborough secured a surprise victory at the KC Stadium. Despite seven straight defeats to Posh's name this campaign - and Hull chasing a seventh straight home league win - Sinclair helped the visitors upset the form book, despite Jay Simpson's goal for the Tigers.

There was better news for the Tigers' Yorkshire rivals Leeds United, as El-Hadji Diouf's second-half double helped Neil Warnock's side register their third straight win and back-to-back victories in the league - 3-1 at Bristol City.

Diouf opened the scoring just after the hour, and although Albert Adomah equalised, he struck again nine minutes from time as Leeds regained the lead. Midfielder Michael Tonge clinched Leeds a two-goal advantage with seven minutes remaining and, although Adomah's corner deflected off Leeds defender Sam Byram in the 90th minute for an own goal, Warnock's men saw out the remaining minute.

Huddersfield Town squandered the chance to go top of the table as Troy Deeney's late penalty earned Watford a dramatic 3-2 win at the John Smith's Stadium. Oliver Norwood's brilliant free-kick handed the hosts the advantage, but Fernando Forestieri netted his first goal for the club, Fitz Hall put the Hornets ahead and although substitute Alan Lee levelled, Deeney kept his cool to win it from the spot.

A brace by defender Matthew Connolly helped Cardiff City maintain their 100% home record in the league with a 3-0 victory over Blackpool. Connolly opened the scoring from close range in the 17th minute and sealed matters by heading home a Craig Bellamy corner after Peter Whittingham's free-kick had made it 2-0.

Middlesbrough's perfect start at the Riverside came to an end, though, as substitute Lloyd Dyer's last-gasp goal earned Leicester City a deserved 2-1 win. Nicky Bailey opened the scoring for Boro early in the second half but it was all Leicester after that, with Jamie Vardy slotting in the equaliser and Dyer's deflected effort winning it at the death.

Ipswich Town dropped two points as Stephen Dawson's superb goal salvaged a 1-1 draw for Barnsley at Oakwell. Elsewhere, Crystal Palace stretched their unbeaten run to five games as Glenn Murray continued his fine goalscoring form to convert the penalty which proved the difference as the Eagles edged Bolton Wanderers 1-0 at the Reebok Stadium.

Millwall ended their run of three straight defeats with a last-gasp equaliser to secure a 2-2 draw at Burnley as substitute Darius Henderson forced an equaliser deep into stoppage time to rescue a point for the Lions. Bakary Sako's free-kick continued Wolverhampton Wanderers' fine form and extended struggling Sheffield Wednesday's woes with a 1-0 triumph at Molineux.


Advertisement block