Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

League 2 round-up

27 October 2012

Gillingham took advantage of Port Vale's defeat at Northampton Town to stretch their lead at the top of npower League 2 to five points.

While Port Vale stumbled to a 2-0 defeat at Sixfields, Gillingham were ruthless at Kingsmeadow where they eked out a 1-0 victory over AFC Wimbledon. Romain Vincelot netted the visitors' goal in the 23rd minute, a 20-yard strike by the midfielder on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion.

Northampton's Alex Nicholls scored but suffered a broken leg in the process against Port Vale. He netted his side's opener in the 20th minute but was fouled at the same time by Vale's John McCombe, who was sent off for his challenge. Nicholls left the pitch in an ambulance.

The Cobblers doubled their lead in the 43rd minute when Louis Moult converted Adebayo Akinfenwa's pass.

Cheltenham Town's bright start to the season continued with a 3-0 home victory over Exeter City. Lawson D'Ath opened the scoring after 55 minutes and Keith Lowe added goals in the 62nd and 87th minutes to make it a comfortable success, lifting Cheltenham up a place to third.

The Robins climbed ahead of Fleetwood Town who were held to a goalless draw at Rochdale, while fifth-placed Bradford City had Ricky Ravenhill sent off at Burton Albion and Calvin Zola's 80th-minute header condemned the Bantams to a 1-0 away defeat.

Rotherham United climbed one place to sixth thanks to a 1-0 home success against Plymouth Argyle, Kieran Agard's 73rd-minute close-range finish proving decisive and Torquay United nudged up to seventh, the last Play-Off place, as Danny Stevens' 30th-minute strike delivered a 1-0 home success at the expense of Morecambe.

Accrington Stanley, with Leam Richardson in caretaker charge after Paul Cook's defection to Chesterfield, put the week's upheaval behind them to beat Bristol Rovers 1-0 with a 79th-minute goal from Padraig Amond.

And Cook saw his new team lose at home to bottom-of-the-table Barnet, Mark Byrne's 90th-minute penalty a rude awakening for the incoming Spireites manager.

Wycombe Wanderers endured a miserable derby with Oxford United at Adams Park, their visitors leaving with a 3-1 win. York City were held 0-0 at Southend United , while Dagenham & Redbridge and Aldershot Town also played out a goalless stalemate.


Advertisement block