Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Mills bemoans first half display

27 December 2012

York manager Gary Mills bemoaned the fact that his side failed to produce a second half display to match that of their first 45 minutes, going down 3-0 to a Chesterfield side which returned to winning ways after also suffering a 3-0 defeat last time out.

The visitors had the better of a goalless first half but were hit by a goal in the opening minute of the second period from full-back Drew Talbot. Chesterfield made the game safe with two further goals inside two minutes, substitute Danny Whitaker scoring within a minute of entering the action and Tendayi Darikwa netting in the 77th minute.

A rueful Mills said: "It's a 90 minute game and we've got to play the second half like we played the first. We were on the front foot, our shape and ball retention were very good and we made it difficult for them.

"We had two or three half chances in that period, they never had a chance and I thought we were excellent. In the second half we weren't as good. You can't concede as early as that, right from the throw in that led to their first goal I thought we were too deep, whereas in the first half we were in their faces and on the front foot."

He highlighted a key moment just three minutes after Chesterfield took the lead, when York striker Jason Walker appeared to be fouled inside the penalty area by centre half Liam Cooper only for referee Chris Sarginson to rule no foul.

"It looked a penalty to me, Jason's saying it was, everyone appealed for it and I don't know why the referee looked over at the linesman because he was looking at it and had a clear view of it."

Chesterfield assistant manager Tommy Wright pinpointed the first goal as the crucial one and was delighted with how they responded to their loss at Roots Hall.

He said: "In the first half York were probably the better side, but we said one or two things, changed one or two things at half time and we got a great response, particularly after last week (when Chesterfield lost 3-0 at Southend)

"The important thing is how you respond to defeat and we bounced back well. I don't think we were that fluent in the first half.

"I think York passed the ball a bit better than us but in the second half, as soon as we got the goal that set us up and we seemed to have more energy, a bit more quality about us."

Advertisement block