Alan Smith has taken caretaker charge and will try and end their nine-match losing streak at Morecambe.
Doncaster Rovers pulled four points clear at the top with Thursday night’s 3-1 win over Portsmouth, but Carlisle have the chance to cut the gap and move second away at Colchester United.
Elsewhere, there’s a London derby between Leyton Orient and Barnet, and Graham Westley returns to Stevenage with Newport County.
Sky Bet League Two: Matchday 25 fixtures (3pm kick-off)
Thursday 5th January 2017
Doncaster Rovers 3-1 Portsmouth
Saturday 7th January 2017
Colchester United v Carlisle United
Hartlepool United v Grimsby Town
Leyton Orient v Barnet
Mansfield Town v Crewe Alexandra
Morecambe v Notts County
Stevenage v Newport County
Click here to see the match officials on dutyFive facts
1. Carlisle have just two victories at Colchester to their name, the first coming in 1964 and the second coming 31 years later – a 1-0 win in April 1995.
2. Hartlepool have won the last five EFL meetings with Grimsby, scoring 19 times and conceding just twice in the process. The Mariners’ two goals came in resounding 8-1 and 4-1 losses.
3. The home side in the last five derby days between Leyton Orient and Barnet have kept a clean sheet. Three have seen the hosts go on to win while two have ended goalless, including the reverse fixture in October.
4. Morecambe and Notts County meet for the 10th time this weekend. The Magpies are yet to win away at the Shrimps, and lost the Meadow Lane meeting back in October.
5. Newport have only beaten Stevenage once in the brief history between the pair, and that came when current Exiles boss Graham Westley was in charge of Boro.
Social mediaFollow, follow, follow…